An outstanding applicant of mine who will be attending a top medical school in New York City this fall offered the following tips based on her observations during interviews:
1) Interviews are like first dates. Do people ever go on first dates without any foundation? Always wear foundation.
2) Don’t wear chunky, or multiple chunky rings.
3) Velvet jacket. Seriously?
4) Baggy suits. Bagginess went out of style in 1999. Nobody wears a 5 button suit anymore. Consult GQ style guide 2011 for pointers.
5) Texting while walking during interviews. Lame.
Many interviewers are not style mavens so most won’t notice if you are wearing something that dates back to the 90s, however, it is important to look and act like a professional; be sure to turn off the mobile device, take off the black nail polish, and any over-the-top fashion accessories.
What tips do you have?